24 January, 2015

DIY : Golden Ampersand

I've had a thing for ampersands lately, such a small logo that represents big things. Don't worry, I won't go all poetic on you, but honestly, just go think about the word and and the meaning and many possibilities it holds. You might just catch up to where I am in adoring ampersands. 

I was just surfing through Google images when I saw a picture of a gold ampersand. And next thing I know, I'm hunched over the table sticking these tacks on the canvas one by one.

Probably the easiest DIY project ever, you only need 600-700 thumbtacks, a plain white canvas and a hammer. And it wouldn't hurt if you have a furry friend to keep you company.


Not wanting to miss out on the fun, Lola was quick to give a helping hand paw.Grab a picture of any ampersand you'd like on Google. Then draw an outline of it on the clean canvas.(I wasn't sure how to draw with no guide and so my outline was messy. Using an eraser only made it worse, now there are grey blurs on spots where I tried erasing pencil marks! draw the outline thinly and make sure only your pencil  tip touches the canvas. Mine became more dirty because of pencil marks on my hand!)Stick the thumbtacks in line by line, don't just randomly stick it in, you'll end up with lots of white spaces between each tacks and messy end result!You might have to lightly hammer in the tacks to even them all out, if your canvas has wood and the back like mine, the tacks would be harder to push in my finger, so the hammer would come in handy then!

1 comment: